Liberal Democracy (was Robert Mundell: Genius unbound)

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Fri Feb 25 13:40:13 PST 2000

Dace wrote:

> Euro-American-Japanese exploitation of Third World resources and labor is so
> thoroughly enmeshed in our economy that the benefits are probably
> incalculable.

How convenient that would be. Everything sucks, and it is by definition co

> Where would we be without all that cheap oil, cheap metal,
> cheap coffee, etc.?

Well, that's what I am trying to figure out.

> It's not just a matter of multinational profits. A lot
> of the profits are passed on directly to us, the consumers, in the form of
> lower prices.

That's why I said you could use hours of equivalent labor instead of dollar balances. No matter how much you add in, you are not going to get past DeLong's very generous upper bound of 2% of GDP.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique