Liberal Democracy (was Robert Mundell: Genius unbound)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 26 10:49:28 PST 2000

Enrique:
>> Can capitalism continue to exist if North America, Western Europe, and
>> Japan were to be totally delinked from the rest of the world? I doubt it.
>Why not? Europe thrived through the 50's, the 60's, the 70's...when, short of
>oil, it was fairly delinked from it, at least economically. And oil would not
>have been all that hard to replace: more public transportation, more coal, gas
>and nuclear power.

Not fairly but *totally* delinked. I'm asking people to imagine if capitalism could survive if North America, Western Europe, & Japan were *entirely* cut off from the rest of the world. No import, no export, no investment, no movement of manpower, no debt service, nothing -- no traffic between rich nations and the rest of the world. I doubt that capitalism could survive under the above conditions.

Yoshie