Liberal Democracy (was Robert Mundell: Genius unbound)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 26 15:06:11 PST 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> >From Enrique to Ted D.:
>>> Where would we be without all that cheap oil, cheap metal,
>>> cheap coffee, etc.?
>>Well, that's what I am trying to figure out.
>
>Can capitalism continue to exist if North America, Western Europe, and
>Japan were to be totally delinked from the rest of the world? I doubt it.

That's not the question - it's not an either/or thing, all or nothing. What exactly is the contribution? I'm tempted to believe that much of the world's population is essentially marginal to First World capitalism. But I'd like to hear/read some more rigorous analyses than that mere impression.

Doug