IMF/WB overhaul; US tax breaks violate trade rules; post-N30

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sat Feb 26 22:43:47 PST 2000

> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> Since a lot of the U.S. anti-WTO movement is campus based, why is
> there so little interest among black and Latino students in it? I
> wonder if a lot of "minority" students are more interested in getting
> a piece of the capitalist action than they are in challenging it
> systemically? I'm pretty out of touch with campus life, which is why
> I'm phrasing these as questions.

As one example, Johns Hopkins University (where I toiled fruitlessly as a divestment activist 15 years ago) has a terrific protest underway at the moment around the living wage demand, as you pointed out Doug, which in Baltimore (if not everywhere else) has excellent African-American church, community and labour leadership. And I gather the current shanty-building and attempted admin building occupation has been strongly supported by the Black Student Union leadership...