IMF/WB overhaul; US tax breaks violate trade rules; post-N30 middle class anarchists

John Gulick jlgulick at sfo.com
Sat Feb 26 21:14:32 PST 2000

Liza,

Interesting research; great and telling points. I look forward to seeing the finished article in _The Nation_. I'm curious about the "cultural politics" dimension (which overlaps w/black students' reservations about being put at risk by super-militant tactics of white anarchists) -- did any interviewees specifically express sort of a distaste for the cliquish, hermetic, more radical-than-thou aspects of white anarchists (see my post on same issue, not grounded in anything close to serious research like your post)? It does seem to me though that a lot of white middle class anarchist or otherwise radical activists have gotten involved w/certain issues of central concern to black folks in general, namely the prison-industrial complex and police brutality stuff (maybe the blask students feel like their movement is being defined and taken over by white activists ?).

John Gulick