Query, Re: Derrida, Habermas, and Theology

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sun Feb 27 06:05:02 PST 2000

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000 01:33:04 -0500 Chris Doss <itschris13 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Me again--sorry, my original dissertation topic was on this subject.
> I think Bultmann's debt to Heidegger is very explicit--he wrote an essay on
> the subject. Didn't he and H. teach a seminar together once?

I thought this noteworthy, although not completely relevant...

"Bultmann's sharp sarcasm, and even more the incorruptible earnestness with which he struggled for clarity and distnace from all theological pathos, had led him to a radical internal criticism of theology. In this he was encouraged and strengthened by Heidegger. It led to a true friendship, such as seldom happens between men in their middle thirties and forties, one supported by thecommunity of their spiritual ends and efforts..."

"Whether it was Greek tragedy or comedy, a Church father or Homer, a historian or a rhetroician, we hurried through the entire ancient world one evening per week for fifteen years. This schedule was maintained by Bultmann with strictness and perseverance, week after week. We began punctually at 8:15pm and read until the clock struck eleven. Bultmann was a strict man... Only then did the postmortem begin. One could smoke beforehand. Bultmann preferred black Brazilian cigars or a pipe to cigarettes, and only because of the haze they left did he indulge in what he called 'weakling's cigars,' wrapped in a leaf of blond tobacco. At eleven o'clock there was something to drink, usually wine. But one was never allowed to forget that one was in a frugal house.... This cheerful period, which began with the wine, fell into two parts: high level academic gossip and the telling of jokes." [if i'm not mistaken, Heidegger was part of this group with Gadamer]

Gadamer, Philosophical Apprenticeships

ken