IMF/WB overhaul; US tax breaks violate trade rules; post-N

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sun Feb 27 08:49:04 PST 2000

> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> The 50 Years people I know are not like this at all. They're
> admirable, militant folks, in fact.
> Actually, as far as Global Exchange goes, Kevin Danaher is pretty
> admirable and militant too. He was one of the first - the first? - to
> come up with the idea of a World Bank bond boycott.

Hear hear. A month ago I spent some evenings with folks from both groups. Better allies we, from the Johannesburg left at least, could not ask for. (Add Rob Weissman and the other left forces in the Nader camp, too.) Sure there are strategic and tactical differences at times. But in that US swamp of Coopted NGOs and charlatan solidarity activism, they offer amongst the most solid ground upon which we rest, both as consistent and clear organisations, and as individual comrades.

John, do give them another look...

Patrick Bond email: pbond at wn.apc.org * phone: 2711-614-8088 home: 51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094 South Africa work: University of the Witwatersrand Graduate School of Public and Development Management PO Box 601, Wits 2050, South Africa email: bondp at zeus.mgmt.wits.ac.za phone: 2711-488-5917 * fax: 2711-484-2729