Carrol on 'the political'?

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 27 07:15:41 PST 2000

G'day Rob.

I don't know about the arrogant but I can't see you as a pedant. A pedant would at least make sure that understood premises would not be left out in a deductive argument. From Carrol Cox is a leftie and Joanna Sheldon is a leftie nothing at all follows about not all lefties being arrogant pedants or that lefties can be arrogant pedants etc. without tacit premises.

I don't bother to attack theoretical hot air by another bit of theoretical hot air. If someone asks another person to pass the salt, in most contexts there will be nothing political about it. That language is social is neither here nor there. If a monk utters the words "pass the salt" at a meal in a monastery with a vow of silence that may be a political act. On the other hand it may be just a matter of forgetfulnesss, being new etc. But I agree, Carrol certainly CAN BE irritating at times. I am sure he won't take offence at a meaningless statement.