IMF/WB overhaul; US tax breaks violate trade rules; post-N30 middle class anarchists

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sun Feb 27 08:52:55 PST 2000

I now write: Max, are you forecasting that the "trade people" will oppose the WTO's ruling on tax breaks to overseas affiliates of U.S. TNC's b/c this ruling overrides "U.S. sovereignty" (if even the sovereignty of the U.S. Congress to legislate "corporate welfare" for U.S. TNC's) ? Are you saying that the "trade people" first and foremost are neo-mercantilist, worried about maintaining the "competitiveness" of U.S.-based capital, vis a vis their East Asian/EC rivals ? If so, who are you specifically referring to when you use the expression "trade people" (I'm not trying to set a trap here, I'm truly interested). Thanks, John G.

answers: no, no, the coalition

Opposition to the WTO decision from the pop-left is not fundamentally on grounds of sovereignty, though some use that rhetorical device when it suits them, but on grounds of competitiveness. Obviously for those on the right, sovereignty has more importance.

Competitiveness need not refer to capital; it can refer to workers. It goes to the ability to produce at decent wages and working conditions for export, and all the factors that enter into it. To describe this as neo-mercantilist is not historical, since the actual historical precedents are different. I have heard it described as 'labor mercantilism.' There's nothing wrong with it.

The anti-global forces I support are not pimping for U.S. capital. They seek to defend workers' living standards and the environment from the unregulated market. You have to look pretty hard to find capital interests among the anti-globalizers on the left. On the right, it's not much different, with the exception of the Millikin/textile forces.

I am predicting they will oppose the WTO decision, though I can't say for certain. I'm of two minds about it, as I indicated in my previous post. Getting rid of export preferences in the tax system would be good for the economy in general; thus it would be worth trading that concession for something of value. A potential win-win situation.

"They" means labor, environmental, consumer, and development- oriented groups. The Good Guys.

mbs