question

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Sun Feb 27 09:08:34 PST 2000

Cynthia Enloe's new book, Maneuvers: The International Politics of Militarizing WOmens Lives, has a good analysis of this -- she argues that the human interest stories, as framed by both the mainstream media and the mainstream gay movement, reinforced the notion that people who want to serve in the military are by definition admirable citizens. That the gays in the military campaign actually helped legitimize the military and affirmed the idea of military service as a noble calling. I think that's a big part of how it became such a big deal in the U.S. -- public sentimentality about military heroism combined with pressing government interest in fostering that sentimentality.

Liza