CoD (was Re: Zizek = the Third Way (was Re: Zizek on Haider))

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Feb 27 16:18:38 PST 2000

>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>>BTW, why do you like _Three Kings_? The movie is an argument for a
>>>"humanitarian intervention"! Is Carl Remick the only LBO-Talker who didn't
>>>like the film?
>>>
>>>Yoshie
>>
>>Er, having an opinion on things I have no knowledge of is one of my
>>most winning traits, but, for the record, I have not voiced any
>>views on _Three Kings_. However, if the film is indeed a promo for
>>"humanitarian intervention" Pentagon-style, it's a safe bet that I
>>would not like it -- even if the the writing, acting,
>>cinematography, FX, score and everything else are the most
>>phenomenal ever.
>
>Your & Yoshie's mutual friend, Slavoj Zizek, thinks Three Kings is a
>fine anti-imperialist movie, especially given its Hollywood source.
>
>Doug

To be expected. No doubt _Three Kings_ fits very well with Zizek's increasing love of Christianity. I wonder whether he can sing, "We three kings of Orient are / Bearing gifts we traverse afar / Field and fountain, moor and mountain / Following yonder Star... Born a King on Bethlehem's plain / Gold I bring to crown Him again / King forever, ceasing never / Over us all to reign. ...". Or better yet, "Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war / With the cross of Jesus going on before / Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe / Forward into battle see His banners go!" Great theme songs for "humanitarian interventions"!

I believe, pace Doug, that Curtiss Leung is a more politically astute movie critic than Zizek. Someone give Curtiss a book contract! BTW, Carl, even minus lousy politics, _Three Kings_ is a mediocre Hollywood film aesthetically. Hou Hsiao-hsien's _A Time to Live, A Time to Die_ (1985) & _City of Sadness_ (1989) -- now, there's unbearable beauty.

Yoshie