For Richer *and* Poorer (was Re: Liberal Democracy)

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Sun Feb 27 17:59:13 PST 2000

Is it that the South is largely excluded from value production, or that the value is parasitically sucked away? I'm asking because I'd like to know, not because, as you claimed earlier, I'm trying to prove some unspoken political point.

Doug

====== Doug,

See Bela Balassa's work on the Generalized System of Preferences and the whole issue of tariff escalation in "New Directions in the World Economy" NYU Press 1989. The 2nd ed. of "The Regulation of International Trade" by Michael Trebilock and Robert Howse, Routledge, 1999 is also excellent on the issue as well as being one of the most readable technical treatments of the GATT/WTO.

Ian