IMF/WB overhaul; US tax breaks violate trade rules; post-N30 middle class anarchists

John Gulick jlgulick at sfo.com
Sun Feb 27 19:26:52 PST 2000

My harsh remark about Global Exchange is based on 1) Medea Benjamin's controversial comments in the NYT in which she suggested the cops should have been cracking skulls of (OK, arresting) property-destroying anarchists in Seattle (while I don't think vandalizing and looting Starbuck's was terribly politically constructive, Medea's remarks were inexcusable, trying to build up the credentials of the "responsible left" by slagging a few rock-throwers), and 2) the fact that Global Exchange likes to build itself up as a super-militant Third World solidarity organization, when in fact, stealing the words of a very savvy leftist friend of mine, it is little more than a glorified travel agency for Volvo-driving Berkeleyites (but I suppose Global Exchange focuses on "reality tours" and selling peasant collective- grown organic coffee to First Worlders in order to have an independent funding base).

I do agree w/both yours and Pat's remarks about Kevin Danaher, though -- a very astute, committed, hard-working, down-to-earth guy ...

Anyway, in the future on lbo-talk I will try to refrain from hair-splitting and tarring individuals and/or organizations purportedly of the "left."

John G.

I wrote earlier:

>>Maybe I'm unfairly jaded about the "50 Years is Enough" crew b/c a) in my
>>mind they're closely identified w/the opportunistic and self-promoting
>>Global Exchange folks

Doug replied: