Kinko's Anarchists (was Re: IMF/WB and the WTO ruling)

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
Mon Feb 28 05:04:23 PST 2000

>>I don't know about other cities, but in Columbus, OH, my anarchist
friends
>>tend to work at (a) Kinko's; (b) coffee shops; (c) book stores; (d) CD
>>stores; (e) video stores; or (f) vegetarian restaurants. A few of them
are
>>computer programmers. (Given the anarchist dress code &
political/cultural
>>outlook, job options for them are rather limited.) The most political
>>among them prefer the graveyard shift at Kinko's, because they can make
>>flyers and giant laminated posters at work. I'll be damned if working at
>>Kinko's makes you "middle-class."
>>

>huh. must be nice to place your dress code and political.cultural outlook
>above anything else such that it delimits your job opportunities. wonder
>why that is?

I don't see why having green hair and a faceful of steel should necessarily limit your job options quite so much. You have to remember that it's horses for courses, and while I agree you're not going to find many anarchists working in banks, that's not really their niche anyway. I bet that in towns less well supplied with anarchists than Columbus, there's probably a massive shortage of scruffy well-pierced types. Imagine it -- in Nashville, or somewhere, the book shops & coffee bars are staffed by, like maybe one anarchist each and a whole bunch of preppy types. All the clientele are hoping to be served by the anarchist, and end up feeling cheated when they aren't. "This sucks", they mutter under their breath, as they walk off down the street to the vegetarian restaurant which managed to poach the town's entire supply of anarchists by offering free tofu or something. Unscrupulous copy shop owners hang round the CD store, trying to cut a good deal with the anarchist working there to come and revive business at their place.

I think there's a market here, and that the anarchist community is being poorly served. What's needed is an employment agency to match up surly uncooperative anarchists with well-paying jobs in companies whose customers expect, nay demand to be served by anarchists.

I'm going to register www.unemployables.com and make out like a bandit. Yesssss, rich at last, the male lactation idea didn't really work out but this one is a surefire cant fail blowout. IPO here I come.

d^2

PS why do you never see punk barmen? I would have thought it would be a perfect job.

___________________________________________________________________________ _____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

immediately on (44) 20 7638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.