The Warren Court is Long Dead -- so is Diallo

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 28 11:02:03 PST 2000

>Btw I presume it was me at whom Carl Remnick was sneering under the name of
>Jason as the person whose obsequiousness towards the majesty of the law
>ought to be given a pause by the Diallo case because the cops got off all
>legally and everything. However, I can recognize injustice because even
>though I think that our law embodies ideals worth fighting to realize. The
>transfer to Albany and the resulting verdict was a farce, but it's a farce
>because it makes a political joke of the idea of equal justice under law.

But those ideals remain forever in the display case -- they're never actually taken out and used in difficult cases like this. What confounds me is the way all the intricate legal gears meshed so perfectly during the Diallo case to give the appearance of due process with none of the substance. Plausibility was delivered; justice denied.

Carl