Mencken

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at ee.cornell.edu
Mon Feb 28 20:22:18 PST 2000

I was reading the excerpt from the National Letters by Mencken in W.Kiernan's site (yank lefties love to refer to him, so I thought I'd see what the fuss was all about). Lemme get this straight - the great problem with America is...(drum roll)... that it lacks a properly careless, decadent, idle aristocracy!? Give me a break. Hey, all you had to do was ask Spain, and we would have been happy to send you ours, free of charge. As is, no returns allowed, though. Problem solved, two of them, in fact.

I mean, unless one is pissed because wasn't promoted to Count of the Entrenched Fold himself, how can anybody read this gem without throwing up?

"All progress goes on at the higher levels. It is there that salient personalities, made secure by artificial immunities, may oscillate most widely from the normal track. It is within that entrenched fold, out of reach of the immortal certainties of the mob, that extraordinary men of the lower orders may find their city of refuge, and breathe the clean air. This, indeed, is at once the hall-mark and the justification of an aristocracy - that it is beyond responsibility to the general masses of men, and hence superior to both their degraded longings and their no less degraded aversions"

Didn't this Mencken dude turn out to be quite the Tory in the 30's, when FDR dared (gasp!) raise his taxes to feed the "nether nine tenths of humanity" (as he charmingly puts it) that washed his shirts and catered his parties? Why the cult, then?

The pictures were great, though. Thanks!

Enrique