Global Exchange and Window Breaking (RE: IMF/WB overhaul; US tax breaks violate trade rule

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Feb 29 06:01:18 PST 2000

kelley:
> what i'm struggling to say is--and this comes from my own exp. in these
> kinds of protests--why not grab on to some symbolic performances that catch
> "them" off guard, that "they" can't denounce so easily, that "they" do not
> expect?

People seem to like violence a lot. Food Not Bombs has been around since the early '80s, but they get attention only when the police bust them (violence). That includes attention from the Left. The explicitly revolutionary anarchist oatmeal cookie has had even less effect, but it hasn't been around as long. Thus far, Reclaim the Streets and the community gardens movements seem to be only of very parochial interest. These are all forms of protest which also embody constructive radical action.

By constrast, dumbly break a few windows at Starbucks, and not only is your act reported all over the world, but the Left gets all charged up about it.

Gordon gcf at panix.com http://www.etaoin.com/A