Global Exchange and Window Breaking (RE: IMF/WBoverhaul;US tax breaks violate trade rule

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 29 12:42:49 PST 2000

Where is the evidence that very many people have a visceral hatred of the Walmarting of their communities? If they have such a strong visceral hatred how is it that Walmart can expand as it has been doing. The nearest community of any size to me is Brandon. When Walmart came in many people were quite happy since K-Mart, Woolco, Superstore, Canadian Tire, etc. had to reduce prices to compete. When Eaton's bit the dust there were not very many tears. While K-Mart and Woolco closed down, Canadian Tire has built its largest store in Canada to compete, and Zellers and Canadian Superstore are going strong. There are of course movements to keep Walmart out of communities, often by reactionary local business building upon populist romanticism. Once Walmart gets in the door and people see the difference in prices the jig is up.

Cheers, Ken Hanly P.S. I had a fundamentalist Christian student who worked for Walmart. What irked him about his employer was the group sessions each day. He thought they were virtually religious in nature. Also employees were required to use Orwellian, positive-speak,to refer to problems as opportunities. He kept getting criticised for talking about conflicts and problems!