State and Democracy (was Re: Who Killed Vincent Chin?)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jan 1 01:35:25 PST 2000

Doug:
>>What do "strong nation-states" -- their character, effects of their
>>presence, effects of their absence, etc. -- exactly mean _in concrete
>>terms, outside the capitalist core_?
>
>I was referring very specifically to Nazi Germany and the present
>Chinese regime.

Nazi Germany was inside the capitalist core, so it falls out of the scope of my question above. Now, what is the present Chinese regime like _in concrete terms_? Would the Chinese masses have more democracy if the Chinese state ceased to exist, or at least become significantly "weaker," _under the present domestic and international conditions_? (Also, what does it mean to have a "weak nation-state" in concrete terms?) If so, why? If not, why not?

Yoshie