history of money

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sat Jan 1 18:17:15 PST 2000

I found Chuck Grimes' analysis of money fascinating. Another book that covers the same territory, but goes much deeper according to my extremely superficial understanding of the subject, is Kurke, Leslie. 1999. Coins, Bodies, Games, and Gold: The Politics of Meaning in Archaic Greece (Princeton: Princeton University Press). He suggests that Herodotus and many of the other high-ranking Greeks were very hostile to the introduction of money by the merchants. --

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901