Populism (as shown in *The Progressive Populist*

J Cullen jcullen at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 2 12:16:00 PST 2000

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread until it had pretty well petered out, but Max did a pretty good job of defending the concept of progressive populism.

I'm glad you found something you like in The Progressive Populist, Carrol. Just be glad we only run 24 pages. One of the main complaints we have heard since we switched to twice-monthly publication is that it's hard enough to make it through the text we produced when we were a monthly.

Some of the columns may appear to cover old hat for some of you worthies, but we are trying to get the word out to people on the street who have been on the defensive about progressive ideals for the past 20 years or more. We're trying to write about economic policy in a way that anybody with a middle-school education can understand what we're talking about. As the estimable late progressive populist Sen. Ralph Yarborough of Texas put it, we're trying to put the jam on the lower shelf where everybody can get at it. And yes, I count Henwood's Wall Street as a populist resource.

Anyway, thanks for the plug.

-- Jim Cullen, Editor