Populism (as shown in *The Progressive Populist*

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Sun Jan 2 20:35:12 PST 2000

Hi,

Always delighted to see the non-answer answer in action.

Halle claimed PRA discovers:

"some far-right group with ties to the campaign of the centrist Repug challenging the centrist Dem. Liberals will be certain to drop whatever flirtation they may have been having with a third party alternative."

This PRA does not engage in, partly because we are ultra-sensitive about our tax status and avoid commenting on election races. So it was an easy distortion to spot. Halle, below, goes on to drag a net of red herrings across the thread, while not defending his original main assertion, which is false.

Gee, John, a simple "I made it up" would suffice.

I assume from your response regarding the Waco video that any lie told against the goverment must be defended in the spirit of challenging the status quo? As someone who has been a paralegal investigator on lawsuits against the FBI, CIA, Military Intelligence, and local police Red Squads, I assure you I take government misconduct seriously, and resent sloppy research and conspiracy theories posing as investigative journalism. It is easy to criticize the government misconduct at Waco without resorting to leaps of logic and conspiracist speculation. PBS has done a very good job at this. The same problems plagued the Christic "Secret Team" theory which sucked millions of dollars out of the left in pursuit of Danny Sheehan's mythical vast conspiracy and sank a perfectly good legal case based on the original solid allegations of Tony Avirgan and Martha Honey.

Yes, facts and logic do matter. No, we should not remain silent about scapegoating just because the big bad corporate media usually defends the status quo.

Populism based on solid research and clear analysis has the potential for achieving democratic ends, populism based on conspiracy theories and scapegoating subverts both democracy and diversity. We can't build a movement for social and economic justice based on tolerating lies and distortions.

-Chip

----- Original Message ----- From: John Halle <john.halle at yale.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2000 9:42 PM Subject: Re: Populism (as shown in *The Progressive Populist*