Pope cites discovery of America as event of the millennium

Ulhas Joglekar ulhasj at bom4.vsnl.net.in
Mon Jan 3 15:26:52 PST 2000

Sunday, January 2, 2000

Pope cites discovery of America as event of the millennium AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE

VATICAN CITY, JAN 1: Pope John-Paul II singled out the discovery of America as a defining event of the past 1,000 years as he celebrated a special mass in St Peter's Basilica to mark the end of the millennium on Saturday. ``This evening, we are asking ourselves what event marked the millennium that has just finished?'' the head of the Roman Catholic church said at the solemn mass. ``What was the geography of countries, the situation of peoples and nations like 1,000 years ago? Who was aware of the existence of another great continent to the West of the Atlantic Ocean?'' The Pope added that ``the discovery of America, which opened a new era in the history of humanity, constituted without doubt an important element in the review of the millennium.'' He said that in the past century there had been ``deep and sometimes rapid upheavals that have marked culture and links between people.'' ``You only have to think about the stifling ideologies that caused so many victims. What suffering and drama,'' he saidwithout giving examples of the upheavals.But the Pope also noted the many ``exciting conquests'' of mankind. ``These years which were granted to humanity by the Creator show man's efforts, his defeats and his victories,'' he said. Before 6,000 pilgrims, about 30 cardinals, the Vatican's accredited diplomatic corps and a string of public figures from Italy, the Pope thanked God for ``the events of this year, this century and this millennium'' as well as for ``constant progress in the spiritual world.'' ``We are grateful for the saints of this millennium, for those who were raised to the honors of the altars and for those, still more numerous who are unknown to us, who made time sacred by the faithful adherence to the will of God. We are equally grateful for all conquests and successes achieved by humanity in the fields of science and technology, the arts and culture.'' But the Pope also added: ``We ask for forgiveness because unfortunately technological and scientific achievements, even though importantfor true human progress, were sometimes used in an unhuman way.'' The ailing 79-year-old head of the Roman Catholic Church crossed the Basilica in a specially designed vehicle, pushed by aides. At midnight, the Pope was to appear before the window of his private office to bless thousands of followers before prayers and a concert by Italian singers in St Peter's Square. Copyright © 1999 Indian Express Newspapers (Bombay) Ltd.