Democratic party

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 3 13:59:31 PST 2000

Scott Marshall wrote:

>And it is true that in the last period we have seen the main thing
>as defeating the Gingrichite ultra right wing of the Republican
>party. I know others don't agree with us but we do see a fascist
>danger in these guys. The merger mania, the globalization of
>capital, etc, in our opinion does have within it the seeds of a much
>greater anti-democratic, anti-working class and racist danger that
>is qualitative, not just more of the same old shit.

Yeah, but shouldn't Communists, of all people, be pointing out that the Democrats are the ones who really legitimate this anti-working-class, anti-democratic agenda? It doesn't surprise anyone that right-wing Republicans are a bunch of pigs; it still surprises some people that centrist Democrats are. What good is a Marxist formation that doesn't make this fundamental point? What would Old Whiskers say?

Doug