The Nazi Economy

alessandro coricelli alessandro.coricelli at rcn.com
Tue Jan 4 08:41:53 PST 2000

----------
>From: DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: The Nazi Economy
>Date: Tue, Jan 4, 2000, 10:41 AM

[...]

> For seconds, the Nazi
> economic miracle occurred between 1933 and 1936 in my book, ie: before the
> rearmament programme had really taken off in earnest.

finally !!!! This is the true issue. If you take, for example, Maurice Dobb's "Political Economy and Capitalism"(1940) you'd find the answer (where Silverman or Avraham Barkai or Daniel Davies are wrong). In the chapter about "Imperialism" are published some data of interest (data absent in Sohn-Rethel too). On a note at page 253 of the Italian edition (the one that mostly quotes two articles published in The Economist in 1935 and 1936) which repeats data on investments contained in Sohn-Rethel work( from the Statistical office of the Reich), Dobb cited a study by the Dept. of Overseas Trade Report of Germany (D.O.T) which already calculated in two thirds the weight of "rearmament" (in 1936, 2/3 of the production of instrumental goods were "motivated" by the rearmament programme, through rationing of metals etc. This very "weight" was less than 1/5 in 1928).

alessandro