Y2-nuthin'?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jan 4 09:45:14 PST 2000

At 11:56 AM 1/4/00 -0500, Zack wrote:
>In non-IT companies, management has no way of overseeing IT depts. They
>just have to trust whatever IT says. And IT is in a position right now to
>demand huge amounts of cash for whatever they say is necessary. That was
>the case before Y2K and is still the case, and Y2K only improved their
>position in that regard.
>
>These programmers in general are the most arrogant people--and mostly very
>conservative libertarian types. Even those with very low skill levels (like
>me) make up to $100,000 a year, after just one or two years of work
>experience. And they are just as sure they deserve it all as they are that
>the Starbucks slaves serving their coffee deserve $7/hr.

Just to play a devil's advocate - after all, those folks got what organized labor and the left in general have been fighting for - occupational autonomy, independence from the bosses and from capitalist "market discipline" the ability to define all important aspects of the job do what they see fit and get paid regardless of how much their labor contributes to the economy. So if we call it arrogance and despise it when computer programmers have such privileges, why makes us think that when the revolution finally comes and grants the same rights/privileges to other types of workers, things would be different?

btw, what do IT and HR stand for?

wojtek