Religion and Radical Change (Chechnya and Kosovo: Alliances with Islam

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 4 13:36:46 PST 2000

>if you believe that religion can strenghten radical social movements
>because it is better predisposed to change the individual than more secular
>ideologies are, then what is the effect of the so-called liberation
>theology? Did it bring a better society to Latin America or simply paved
>the road for neo-liberalism? For that matter, can you cite a single
>instance of an actually existing just society built on religious
>foundations?

I hate to begin the new year on the lbo list on a harsh note, but I have to agree with wojtek's criticisms here. I've been feeling rather mellow toward religion lately -- having recently watched "A Christmas Carol" for the zillionith time, read an entertaining, edifying diary by a deeply religious man (the actor Alec Guinness) and otherwise been exposed to religion's better side. However, as I've said here in the past, I simply can't see organized religion as anything other than highly dangerous in its net impact on the human condition. Certainly as an organized movement, Christianity strikes me as profoundly un-Christian -- a faith more interested in wielding control than addressing the need for social justice. Moreover, ALL the major monotheistic religions, as I've said before, have built-in, zero-sum doctrinal differences that will give rise to ever greater tensions as the world's peoples come increasingly into contact with one another.