Y2-nuthin'?

Zack Exley zee at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 4 14:36:53 PST 2000

Programming will always be a craft until computers can do it themselves--probably not all that far off. Advances like structured programming (in the 80's), and then object oriented programming (in the 90's), just made programmers wildly more efficient. Rather than de-skill programming, object oriented programming took out many of the mundane tasks that used to be a big part of programming. With OO you create and share reusable building blocks--so everything gets very elegant and fun. I was a programmer back in the early 80's and then again in the late 90's. And writing code is much more fun and satisfying nowadays.

But working in IT depts., you don't have the sense that along with this gain in efficiency has come the usual work speed-up. It feels like a massive slow down actually.

This probably only applies to IT departments in non-IT companies. It sounds like they work very hard in all these internet start-ups, for example.

-Zack

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Michael Perelman Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 3:31 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Y2-nuthin'?

--

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901