cooking SS numbers

Tue Jan 4 13:04:16 PST 2000

>The explanations given by the actuaries in the annual reports have
>little credibility; they ignore considerable actual experience and
>rely, instead, on highly pessimistic speculation about the future.
>Also, of the 101 changes made in assumptions and methods from 1980
>to 1998, 68 were negative and 33 positive, indicating a strong bias.

Well, we got mostly bad news about economic growth from 1980 to 1994. I think that the Social Security actuaries' estimates of productivity growth, immigration, and life expectancy are all too low. But I do not believe that the trustees alter the assumptions: when I was in Washington the assumptions that came out of the trustees' meeting were the assumptions that went in...

Brad DeLong