Alexander Cockburn, foody

Pahtoo at aol.com Pahtoo at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 11:19:40 PST 2000

In a message dated 1/5/00 10:59:35 AM Pacific Standard Time, fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu writes:

<< I think Starbuck's presents an easy target. I don't think Starbuck's is more

profligate in its wasting of resources than other food production sources.

We can level the same charges against consumers of meat, people who buy

non-locally grown produce, etc...although, I do think those practices are

more wasteful of resources.>>

I agree. The average food item in the American diet travels some 1200 miles before consumption. We raise animals for food in horrific conditions -- "sweatshop eggs" as Kramer called them on a Seinfeld episode.

<>

No, It was substantive. Indeed, numerous subsistence cultures were destroyed (and continues) due to land seizures for coffee plantations. Not just cultures, but entire ecosystems (those cultures depended on) have been destroyed. See the movie "Max Havelar" if you get the chance.

Michael