bourgeois highdomes

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 5 13:41:03 PST 2000

Michael Hoover wrote:

>And who are these marxists? The usual suspects - Callinicos, Wood,
>Eagleton, etc. - who have written critically about postmodernism?
>A few folks on e-lists (where sovereign individualism reigns)? And
>which e-lists? I used to sub to bunches of them where self-identified
>marxists uttered nary a sound about postmodernism/postmodernists.
>Nor have most marxists I've known and worked with outside academia
>and 'left intellectual' circles ever sat around and agonized over
>postmodernism. In any event, postmodernism is sooo '80s.

Oh I had in mind several posters to several e-lists - we both know who they are - and people I run into here & there, like Labor Party types or Monthly Review authors and editors. There was the great brouhaha in the wake of the 1996 Rethinking Marxism conference, about which there was great complaint (my voice among the complainers, before I came to know better) that it had been hijacked by those evil posties. It was only what, two years ago, not the 1980s, that MR published In Defense of History - history's abusers being those evil posties.

But you have a point; as Ted Byfield might put it, postmodernism is so 20th century.

Doug