note from a teacher

Michael Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Wed Jan 5 18:55:32 PST 2000

Today I began my 62nd regular term as a college teacher. I have three more to go before I call it quits and start a new life in New York City. In my mail box there was a letter from one of the students in my recent prison class. He thanked me for a book I had given another student to give to him and for teaching the class. And he apologized for missing the last couple of classes. He said that he had had to make arrangements to get moved to another cell block because he was being harrassed by his "captors." (I think he did this by feigning illness). Then he said that each Tuesday night when he heard the horn sound which ended the classes he thought about what he was missing. Boy, this touched my heart. I have taped the letter to my filing cabinet. Each day that I see it I will remember that a teacher can sometimes do some good in this world.

Michael Yates