Fwd: nader

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 5 23:22:46 PST 2000

[sent to me rather than list]

From: Leslilake1 at aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 02:14:58 EST

I'm wondering if anyone on the list can help me. I'm a subscriber to this list, but not an economist or academic. I'm interested in organizing a forum on trade policy in the town where I live. What I'd like to know is, from the point of view of people on this list, how good is the information that comes out of Nader's Public Citizen? The reason I ask is that as I started researching, I also started to read some criticisms of the facts being cited by Public Citizen. Then when I tried checking some citations myself, they didn't always hold up. For example, in a fact sheet on NAFTA, it was stated that the biggest job growth was projected to be for janitors and a couple of similar categories. When I went to the US government statistics on the web, it was actually for computer programmers and some similar occupations. (I'm sorry to be so vague with the "similar," but I'm writing from memory.)

Public Citizen puts out a lot of information on trade and globalization, and are as far as volume goes, one of the best sources of information, but I'm wondering if I'm going to have to fact-check everything before I use it? If you have any response, or can direct me to sources that are reliable and paint a picture of trade/globalization issues that's accessible to "regular people" I'd very much appreciate it.

LJ