Questions and Answers

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 6 10:08:43 PST 2000

Carrol Cox wrote:

> On both Pen-l and LBO recently there have been short posts which
>included the phrase "These are serious questions." None of these posts
>contained any serious effort to show the seriousness of the question by
>at least outlining a possible answer. I simply do not accept the good
>faith of this position. No one can seriously desire an answer to any
>question without having in mind some sort of answer to that question.

Actually, I often ask questions without any fixed idea of an answer; it's part of what journalists do. And here, I often ask questions to provoke discussion; it's part of what list moderators do. Maybe retired professors have more answers than questions, but I don't. I'm full of unanswered questions, just like Charles Ives.

Doug