thegreatcrash.com press release

Brett Knowlton brettk at unica-usa.com
Thu Jan 6 11:47:57 PST 2000

>> From Richard A Brealey and Stewart C Myers, Principles of
>> Corporate Finance, Fourth Edition (McGraw-Hill, 1991), p.
>> 60. Maybe there's a new edition that's gotten more in touch
>> with the New Era. Their use of DEC as a growth stock example
>> is pretty sobering.
>

>No joke. IIRC, 1989 was the year their stock went to $200.
>Within the same year, it was down to $105-108, which my former
>boss took as a 'buy oportunity'. Then the stock (as the
>company did) took a long slide into disaster. The stock never
>saw anything close to $100 again and spent some years in the
>30-40 dollar range.

Ahh, DEC. I worked there for a year and a half, and the last 6 months was probably the weirdest employment experience I will ever have. I worked at the Alpha plant in Hudson, MA, and when Intel bought us out some of their management folks came in and told us to halt work on about 50% of our projects. Depending on what you were working on, some people literally had nothing to do. My work load dropped about 75%. This continued until Intel took over roughly 6 months after the announcement of the deal.

It's rather amusing, but I remember DEC stock going up about 20-25% during that period.

Brett