New book critiquing Goldhagen/new issue of Covert Action Quarterly

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 6 12:31:41 PST 2000

Just saw this new book, at my local, independent bookseller, "Nazi Terror: The Gestapo, Jews, and Ordinary Germans Eric A. Johnson, Basic Books. Billed as comprehensive critique of Goldhagen's work, looks like a useful supplement to Norman Finkelstein's NLR piece, later published in paper. Before lunchtime hunger took me away, glanced at chapter headings- examination of KPD and SPD for example, with biographical vignettes.

Picked up new issue of CAQ, more from Johnstone, Ed Herman, Chossudovsky, probably recaps, updates of previous writing, got mostly 'cuz of pieces on Columbia and Urban Warrior. New Mother Jones (skipped, read at library) has piece on KLA and heroin smuggling. Buyers remorse from the editors, or trying to "apologize" for the Todd Gitlin, "Give War A Chance, " piece?

Michael Pugliese