Amazon.com confesses its risks

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Jan 6 19:31:26 PST 2000

>> Lawyers suck.
>
> Is there something wrong with lawyers writing (in this case quite
> careful, honest, and accurate) risk statements to minimize
> Amazon.com's liability by telling people true things in plain
> language that anyone can understand?

I knew all the lawyers on this list would get their backs up.

I wasn't talking about Amazon's lawyers in this case. I was talking about the lawyers who would help some half-wit to pursue suing Amazon for not having said clearly what everyone else says clearly: Amazon is never going to make a profit. So the fact that Amazon has to get it's own lawyers to keep the other lawyers away is one big huge steaming lump.

But: all lawyers play this game [it's sort of a meta-game, since only the lawyers get any enjoyment out of it on either side], so don't tell me there are "good lawyers" and the like.

/jordan