Amazon.com confesses its risks

jmage at panix.com jmage at panix.com
Fri Jan 7 07:39:38 PST 2000

Jordan writes

>>> Lawyers suck.
>>
>> Is there something wrong with lawyers writing (in this case quite
>> careful, honest, and accurate) risk statements to minimize
>> Amazon.com's liability by telling people true things in plain
>> language that anyone can understand?
>
>I knew all the lawyers on this list would get their backs up.

Nah, not me. Pretty much agree with you.

>But: all lawyers play this game [it's sort of a meta-game, since
>only the lawyers get any enjoyment out of it on either side], so
>don't tell me there are "good lawyers" and the like.

There are some good lawyers, and the example of Bill Kunstler (with whom I was co-counsel more than a few times, the NYS Culhane/McGivern 2nd appeal among others) being mobilized for the proposition that there is "social utility" in Amazon's whiteshoe lawyers writing disclosure statements is one that I can attest would have made Bill Kunstler puke.

john mage