Do lawyers such?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 7 09:07:42 PST 2000

>Justin, as someone who is on my way to a law degree, I still side with the
>people who say that lawyers as a class are scum;

I know there are other fans of the author William Gaddis on this list, and one thing that perplexes me about Gaddis is that I believe he had an abiding respect for the field of law, though his final novel, "A Frolic of His Own," contains merciless commentary on legal machinations. I'm surprised by Gaddis's attitude because I know of no writer who better understands how language can be abused than he did, and no occupation -- apart from my own debased line of work, PR -- is as capable of such willful abuse of language as the law is.