Do lawyers such?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 7 09:40:38 PST 2000

At 11:45 AM 1/7/00 -0500, Nathan Newman wrote:
>Justin, as someone who is on my way to a law degree, I still side with the
>people who say that lawyers as a class are scum; just because there is a
small
>group of heroic folks with law degrees trying to undo the damage does not
>improve the average moral basis of lawyering as an activity. It is
>prosecutors/lawyers who railroaded Mumia and a hanging judges/lawyers who
have
>kept him and others on death row, while it is corporate lawyers who protect

-- snip

Nathan, do not forget that racial seggregation in this country was abolished not by the so-called "elected representatives" in congress but by courts, that is lawyers. Do not also forget that our *only* line of defence against corporate malfeasance are those 'sleazy' lawyers willing to take cases on a contingency basis. I would go as far as saying that the court system and vast supply of litigation-happy lawyers is the life support that keeps democracy alive in this country.

Also the National Lawyers Guild prides itself that Edgar Hoover considered it more dangerous than bomb throwers - having such enemies surely means that they are doing something right.

So if you do not like the system, do not shoot your lawyer, shoot (figuratively speaking, of course) your so-called "elected representative" who sells public trust to the highest bidder and passes laws favoring corporate profits over public good (otoh, these scumbags are often lawyers).

wojtek