Mumia & "The Left"

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Jan 7 14:34:31 PST 2000

Carrol Cox wrote:

> In other words, those weren't "Left spectacles" -- they were simply an
> activity that one group tried. Anyone that wants to can try to set up
> their own local Free Mumia group, and carry on their own activities.

Sure, but they have to toe the party line. I found that out in 1998 when our support group in D.C. was "purged" in favor of a new one controlled from Philadelphia.

> Us authoritarian leninists (including but not limited to those who
> call themselves "marxist-leninists) hope to see a grouping with
> some sort of hegemony on the left -- and then when we fuck up
> people like Chuck0 will have the write to complain.

You guys always fuck stuff up. That's why we don't like working with you. Who wants to work with an organization (NPC) that puts on a major anti-war demonstration AFTER the Yugoslavia War ended?

But no one
> has the right to either praise or blame "The Left" at the present
> time. When you do, you look and sound as foolish as Robert Graves
> did when he launched a really impassioned attack on Aeneas for
> his approaching Dido in the presence of her husband in the
> underworld.

Who?

You are getting all excited about something that
> exists only in your own fevered imagination.

I speak from my experience as an activist. If you'd get off campus once in a while Carrol, maybe these things would make sense to you.

> To put it in another way, if "The Left" (or even "A Left" of some
> significant force and unity) existed, these maillists (pen-l, lbo,
> marxism,
> leninist-international, m-fem) would either not exist or exist in
> a radically different form. We would be living in a different world
> than the world we live in, and so in a sense "we" would not be
> "we" but someone else in that other world. But the history which
> is us does not, at present, contain such a left.

I'm talking about the authoritarian Left, specifically, which does exist.

Do you want to buy one of their papers?

-- Chuck0

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop http://www.infoshop.org/

Leonard Peltier Freedom Month Executive Clemency For Peltier! http://www.freepeltier.org/lpfreedommonth.html

Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Now! http://www.infoshop.org/gulag/mumia_idx.html

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe