Zizek on Christianity

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Sun Jan 9 03:56:10 PST 2000

In this regard I recommend Mark Ryan's article "Neither god nor man" in the current issue of LM. Ryan argues that the established church has capitulated to new age ideas in a vain attempt to increase its popularity. The consequence of this is a "downgrading of humanity" removing even the traditionally qualified concept of free will (I assume this is what Zizek is talking about) of traditional church doctrine. Ryan claims: "If Christianity puts a limit on man's moral nature, however, New Age religion dispenses with it altogether. To the extent that there is a question of man, it is a purely practical one of waste disposal, of how to minimise the polluting impact of man on his environment - how to respect the Earth...The New Age is a slave religion in which the only obligation on man is to adapt to his environment. Man cannot have a moral dimension because he does not exist as a moral subject independently of his environment."

Ryan concludes that while generations of atheists and free thinkers assumed that Christianity "would eventually collapse under the pressures of reason and freedom..." it is a shocking sign of the times we live in that "...instead it is metamorphosing into a form so primitive as to make its earlier contributions to man's spiritual life look rich and profound".

LM's website is: www.informinc.co.uk

-----Original Message----- From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Sunday, January 09, 2000 10:07 AM Subject: Re: Zizek on Christianity