Do lawyers such? [sic]

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 10 06:31:26 PST 2000

>i'm not sure why you're surprised [about novelist William Gaddis's apparent
>respect for the field of law]. gaddis was totally fascinated
>by the ways in which language is defeated (or simply fails: _the
>recognitions_)--but from the standpoint of a novelist, whose work
>was to craft a language that surpasses and succeeds. so amidst
>the linguistic chaos of _frolic_ there's judge crease, whose rul-
>ings, despite their pathetic and absurd origins, are brilliant
>in every way.
>
>cheers,

Well, I do recall Crease as a beacon of sanity; I suppose I should reread his rulings in view of your praise for them.

Gaddis does an unbeatable job in general showing what a confusing hall of mirrors we live in due to the (most often deliberate) misuse of language. I guess I just do not share his faith that the law offers some means to get beyond linguistic ambiguity and deceit to affirm and advance basic, honest principles.

Carl