Do lawyers suck?

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Mon Jan 10 08:59:46 PST 2000

Although, I am not now nor have I ever been a lawyer--I think that the LBO legal fraternity is being a little too tough on itself. Also, I have a hunch that there are lawyers who subscribe to LBO who have not revealed themselves as lawyers or who do not post for obvious reasons.

Nathan brought up the subject of labor law. The Steelworker's have been very lucky over the years. We have had some high profile legal talent like Lee Pressman and Arthur Goldberg. Pressman who besides being the USWA general counsel was also Philip Murray's personal attorney. Goldberg made it all the way to the Supreme Court. The Steelworkers have also had attorney's who were regional power house like J. P. Mac Ardle. And there have been innovative and creative attorney's like our retired general counsel Bernie Kleinman who are almost unknown outside of the steel industry. Then there have been numerous attorneys who have done little favors over the years for the Steelworkers for little or no recompense or recognition.

In my own humble opinion the key to progress in labor law is the re-examination of the relationship between corporations, law and democracy.

Tom Lehman