Do lawyers suck?

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Jan 10 11:27:37 PST 2000

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:18:44 -0500 "Charles Brown" <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us> writes:

>In other words if I understand you correctly you are calling for
>a revival of legal realism, this time in order to undermine
>the pretentions of the legal profession to embody the rule
>of Reason. Actually, Justin has in the past advocated a
>Marxist legal realism.

>CB: Yes, I think legal realism would be a good term to use in order to
>keep us from getting drunk on that drug Reason , which lawyers and law
>professors dispense so widely. I think "legal realism" has some
>history at Yale law school in a school of conventional , bourgeois
>analysis, but we might violate those intellectual property rights to
>the usage.

Yale was a main center for legal realist scholarship. Legal realism has had its representatives on the Supreme Court in the past including Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. and William O. Douglas (who I think was a professor at Yale Law School). Many of the New Dealers (such as Thurman Arnold) were legal realists since it was seen by them as providing a useful framework for critiquing the reactionary Supreme Court which was regularly declaring New Deal legislation to be unconstitutional.

________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.