TWX + AOL; NBC next?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Jan 10 13:25:21 PST 2000

At 03:23 PM 1/10/00 -0500, Nathan Newman wrote:

> [...]

Nathan, your argument against mergers is valid only if the market-schmarket fantasy how economy operates is true, and we all on this list know (I presume) that such a view is a bunch of crap. Some of us (me included) believe that market-schmarket has often very bad influences, bringing things down to the lowest common denominator (e.g. wages, or quality of cultural products).

OTOH, centralization is not necessarily a bad thing (cf. central planning) - lack of competition can save a great deal on transaction costs (thus getting rid of a bunch the lawyers of the worst kind - the corporate variety - as you previously argued), and can form a platform for a planned economy that will never be possible under market competition.

>From a marxist, dialectical point of view, these mergers can thus be viewed
as the "satanic mills" of the 19th century - they are the product of the capitalist drive for profit, but they also contain a seed of their own destruction. It would be much easier to mobilize a broad movement to nationalize a few large industrrial conglomerates than to do likewise with a bunch of smaller businesses, most of which are mom-and-pop shops.

More generally, centralization is much more conducive to a revolution than decentralization (cf. Barrington Moore, _Social origins of dictatorship and democracy; lord and peasant in the making of the modern world_, Boston: Beacon Press, 1966).

wojtek