No subject

Scott Marshall scott at rednet.org
Tue Jan 11 09:51:25 PST 2000

Please Rakesh, where do you get this:

<<The EPI, AFL-CIO, Teamsters all seem to have agreed that the campaign for non application of China was the real mandate it had received from the Seattle riots. >>

Again I'll repeat myself also - yes the anti-China stuff is there, but the 'real mandate' - no, not that I can tell. Not from talking to them regularly as a reporter, nor from reading their press. Jay Mazur (UNITE) just wrote a major piece on post Seattle in Foreign Affairs - very little on China. Mostly on how to build solidarity. And to the degree the China stuff is a problem, it has a great deal more to do with the lingering cold war anti-communism, than it does with nationalism.

<<Do you know--or care--what the consequence of the Harkin Bill was on, say, Bangladeshi children?>>

Cheap shot - this was not a personal disagreement.

<<Wow! What a radical demand. Maybe Farrakhan will show up in Washington to have black men protest themselves as well.>>

Of course this is not radical enough for you, and you don't seem to see any of the changes that are taking place in thought patterns that this indicates, but you also didn't answer the questions. Okay the UPS strike was good, but what should have happened in Seattle, that didn't to make it a legitamate mass action in your mind?

So in Washington what would be your radical demands and how will we get the labor movement to adopt them - or should we just poo-poo them as well within the norms of capitalist order.