Antisocial Insecurity

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Jan 11 16:11:21 PST 2000

Mattcapri at aol.com wrote:

> So today I recieve a letter in the mail informing me that I owe over $20,000
> to social security in benefits that I collected that a social security judge
> (I don't think this is the same as being an acutal judge, let alone a
> doctor, the only doctors involved in the whole social security appeals
> process were my doctors and the reccomended I continue to recieve benefits)
> decided I was not entitled to.

I assume this is for SSDI - Despite all the dissing of lawyers lately, my first concern is do you have a lawyer that knows Social Security disability law? Usually, though not always, an administrative law judge (ALJ) will rule in favor of the one who is disabled, especially if doctors have *correctly* done their job to prove the case.

> Sure, happens every day and I am sure mine is not the most tragic case.
> Interesting though is that the letter informing me of my indebtedness
> contains the following brief paragraph:
>
> <<If you call us using a TDD machine, please pause after you type a few
> words. This will give us time to transfer your call to the TDD line.>>
>
> You see the irony here, yes? TDD is the qwerty phone attachement for the
> deaf.
>

> (and no, I am not deaf)

Perhaps a deaf judge would have heard you better.

Marta Russell