CHINA: 12 million to lose jobs

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Tue Jan 11 20:00:33 PST 2000

Dan cited:

>officials must work hard to contain the urban unemployment rate within 3.5
>per cent.
>At present, millions of jobless workers live on about 100 yuan (hk$88) a
>month paid by their employers. There have been frequent reports of protests
>by workers when their bosses failed to pay them even the basic wages.

I'm assuming that the urban unemployment rate is quite different to the overall unemployment rate, and that the registration of 'internal migrants' from rural areas rather muffles that calculation of official urban unemployment. Is that right? That, plus the linking of welfare to previous employment... Any idea what the unofficial and overall unemployment rate might be?

Angela