On Cultural Privilege

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Wed Jan 12 17:18:24 PST 2000

[clip]
> You do not
>attack people you are trying to recruit to a struggle.)
>
>Carrol

What do you think about Johnny Rocker being sent to re-education camp? (Rocker is a 25 year old ace pitcher for the Braves. His brain's filtering mechanism doens't work too well and he recently unloaded a racist diatribe on a Sports Illustrated journalist.)

Like prayer and holy water, I don't think it will do any good, but probably no harm. I feel for the psychologist who gets to chat with him.

By the way, I have great idea for a sitcom: a M.A.S.H.-like show set in a Chinese re-education camp circa 1999. Here's a sample scene. The CO and his Radar sidekick are in the CO's office.

Chinese Radar: Comrade, another busload of Fulan Gong are scheduled to arrive today.

CO (moaning): Oh no, not them again!

(canned laughter)

CO: Whenever we show them a film, they just sit there and meditate.

(canned laughter)

Chinese Radar: I know, I know. One of the first batch wanted to show me how to get in touch with my body.

(canned laughter)

CO (interested): Was it a guy or lady?

etc....